These Whole30 steak bites with sweet potatoes and peppers are one-skillet wonder you’ll return to again and again! Easy, fast, filling and nutritious, this is really good real food at it’s most delicious.
Oh, hey there Whole30 friends! And non-Whole30 friends! How about, hey there friends who love real food that’s fast, easy, healthy and loaded with flavor?? Yep – that works, because that’s exactly what we’re serving up today.
These Whole30 steak bites are flavor-filled, nutrient dense, and finger-licking delicious. With sweet potatoes, bell peppers, and a big pop of cilantro, this is a fast and filling weeknight dinner recipe that everyone will love.
Whole30 steak bites with sweet potatoes and peppers require one pan and are ready in under 45 minutes. Whole30 or not, this is a family friendly recipe you’ll return to again and again!
How to Make Whole30 Steak Bites
This recipe for Whole30 steak bites is packed with tons of flavor and huge pops of vitamins thanks to colorful sweet potatoes and bell peppers. It’s an easy, approachable weeknight dinner recipe that’s ready in under 45 minutes. Flat iron steak pan sears well, and retains a tender texture and meaty flavor. If you have a few extra bucks, sirloin is also an excellent cut for this recipe.
First prepare the sweet potatoes. You’ll pre-cook them in the microwave so that they pan-sear quickly later in the recipe. Dice a large sweet potato into 1″ chunks, place into a microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle with sea salt, then cover and microwave until tender, but not soft – anywhere from 4-6 minutes. They’re ready when you can insert the tip of a knife into a piece and meet just a bit of resistance. Be mindful not to overcook or you’ll end up with mush. No bueno.
Pat your steak dry with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel, then trim of any excessive fat and sinew; dice into 1″ pieces. Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the diced steak to the pan in a single layer and allow the pieces to sear for about 2 minutes. Turn the pieces and sear for another 2 minutes per side, about 10 minutes total.
At around the 10-minute mark, the steak should be seared and slightly charred on the outside and medium on the inside. AKA, perfect. Remove the steak from the skillet using a slotted spoon and set aside onto a plate.
Reduce the heat to medium low, add another tablespoon of oil to the pan, and then add the sweet potatoes. Toss ’em in the fat and saute until slightly charred, about 4 minutes. Give them a good stir halfway through. If they start to stick, add a bit more oil.
Make a well in the center of the potatoes and add some minced garlic. Stir and saute the garlic until it’s fragrant, about a minute, then add the diced bell peppers and sliced green onions to the pan. Saute the vegetables, stirring frequently, until the onions wilt and the peppers just start to soften – another 3 or 4 minutes.
Add the steak back to the pan, along with any juices accumulated on the plate, and pour in 2 tablespoons coconut aminos. Saute and stir continuously until the liquid evaporates and the ingredients are thoroughly tossed – about a minute. Sprinkle the everything with a healthy dusting of cracked black pepper. Plate it up, and sprinkle generously with fresh cilantro.
So easy. So good. So delicious! These steak bites are the perfect Whole30 dinner recipe to keep you fueled and feelin’ fine.
Dietary Accommodations, Variations, and Storage
- Naturally Whole30 and paleo
- Gluten free, dairy free, nut free
- Low carb, with 19 grams net carbs per serving
- I like using flat iron steak for this recipe. Sirloin works well too.
- Add a diced jalapeno along with the garlic in step 4 for a kick of spice, or top with Whole30 sriracha
- This recipe works great for meal prep! Divide into meal prep containers and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, pan sear in a hot skillet for 3-4 minutes; or, microwave for one minute, stir, then microwave in additional 30 second intervals until desired temperature is reached.
More Flavor-Packed Whole30 Dinner Recipes
Steak Bites with Sweet Potatoes and Peppers
This recipe for Whole30 steak bites is packed with tons of flavor and huge pops of vitamins thanks to colorful sweet potatoes and bell peppers. It’s an easy, approachable weeknight dinner recipe that’s ready in under 45 minutes.
- 1 large sweet potato (about 12 ounces) diced into 1″ pieces
- 1 tsp sea or kosher salt
- 1 lb flat iron steak diced into 1″ pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bell peppers seeded and diced into 1″ pieces
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- Place the diced sweet potatoes into a microwave safe bowl, then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Cover with a plate and microwave on high until just barely tender, 4-6 minutes. Stir once halfway through. The potatoes are ready when you can piece one with the tip of a knife and meet just a bit of resistance. Take care not to overcook at this stage or they’ll turn out mushy later.
- Heat a 12” skillet over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add the steak in a single layer. Cook, turning every two minutes, until the pieces are browned and the center is medium, about 10 minutes. Remove the steak from the skillet using a slotted spoon and set aside onto a plate.
- Add the third tablespoon olive oil to the skillet. Add the sweet potatoes, toss to coat in the fat and cook until browned, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3-4 minutes.
- Make a well in the center of the pan and add the garlic. Sautee, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the bell pepper and scallions and toss with the potatoes. Sautee, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are bite tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the steak and juices back to the pan along with the coconut aminos. Toss all ingredients and cook an additional 1- 2 minutes until the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the pepper and cilantro, toss, and remove from heat. Portion onto plates, top with additional fresh cilantro if desired, and serve immediately.
Calories: 460kcal (23%), Carbohydrates: 25g (8%), Protein: 22g (44%), Fat: 30g (46%), Saturated Fat: 10g (50%), Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 81mg (27%), Sodium: 650mg (27%), Potassium: 535mg (15%), Fiber: 6g (24%), Sugar: 8g (9%), Vitamin A: 12700IU (254%), Vitamin C: 186.5mg (226%), Calcium: 50mg (5%), Iron: 4mg (22%)