This Honey Mustard Chicken is loaded with flavor and goodness and is lick-your-plate delicious! It has the perfect combination of the sweet and tangy honey mustard coating tender chicken with savory mushrooms, onions, and bacon balancing the flavor. Of course, to top it off it is smothered in rich shredded cheese that melts into pure perfection. This Honey Mustard Chicken is a one dish, crowd pleaser that is requested over and over again!
Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
I know a recipe is a winner when it impresses my husband, because as wonderful as he is, he is hard to please at the dinner table. This Honey Mustard Chicken got his highest praise!
This recipe is a bit of a throwback to one of my favorite meals growing up. Alice Springs Chicken from Outback Steakhouse. Although I wouldn’t call this Honey Mustard Chicken a copycat, I took inspiration from the flavors I loved so much in that dish and packed them in a couldn’t-be-easier kind of dinner.
In this dish you will find perfectly seasoned tender chicken breast, tangy honey mustard, perfectly cooked mushrooms, sweet onions, salty bacon and of course just the right amount of rich and delicious cheese to top it off. Not only is this combo a winner, but I figured out how to get it to all cook perfectly in one dish, so one point for easy meal prep and another for easy clean up.
What to Serve with Honey Mustard Chicken
This is a super comforting meal, so I like to carry that over to the side dishes served with this dish. You can go with classic sides or keep the dish lighter by choosing healthier sides. Either way, pairing Honey Mustard Chicken a couple of these will make a super filling and delicious meal.
If you need to be quick, just pair the Honey Mustard Chicken with one of these sides that you have on hand, or if you are looking to make a heartier meal, go ahead and put two or three of these on the dinner menu! If you have a favorite side dish that I missed, make sure and leave me a comment in the section at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Honey Mustard Chicken
This recipe is super simple! I am going to walk through an overview of how to make Honey Mustard Chicken here, adding in some of my tips and recommendations for this recipe. Make sure to hop to the bottom of this post to find the FULL printable recipe card.
First, trim your chicken breast. If the chicken is average to thick, I would recommend cutting it so that it is half the thickness. This will help it cook more quickly and evenly and result in more tender chicken.
Lay the chicken breast flat in a large casserole dish so that they are not touching. Season the chicken as directed. Then spread a layer of honey mustard on each chicken breast.
Make sure to have a dish big enough to fit all of the chicken and toppings in without too much crowding. This will help reduce the liquid that is in the pan at the end since it has room to bake off and evaporate.
Chop the mushrooms roughly and slice the onions extra thin. The more thin the onions are the more fully they cook and the sweeter that they get. Toss the mushrooms and onions with the oil and remaining seasonings to coat. Layer the mixture on top of the chicken, evenly over the dish.
How Long to Bake Honey Mustard Chicken
Then place on the middle rack of the oven and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
I always bake my chicken uncovered because it allows excess liquid to evaporate and intensify the flavor of the dish. The oil coating the vegetables should help them stay moist enough not to burn. With that said, each oven cooks differently, so it is always smart to keep an eye on your Honey Mustard Chicken the first time you make it and if at any time it starts to become more browned than you like, just loosely cover with a sheet of foil.
At the 30 minute point, add the crumbled bacon and cheese on top of the dish and place back into the oven to finish baking for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Once it is done, garnish with parsley if desired and serve warm with your favorite sides!
What to do with Honey Mustard Chicken Leftovers
Now, when I have made this we generally don’t have leftovers, but if you do, you are in for a treat, because there are some seriously awesome meals that you can make with the leftovers!
To store Honey Mustard Chicken Leftovers, place the chicken in meal sized air tight containers and place:
- In the refrigerator for 3-4 days
- In the freezer for up to a month
Leftover Honey Mustard Chicken Meal Ideas
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wraps– Grab an oversized tortilla or some Lavash bread and layer on a drizzle of honey mustard, slices of the leftover chicken with toppings, chopped lettuce, and cherry tomatoes cut in half. Roll the wrap up and wrap in foil. If you want a heartier meal, add rice or quinoa to the wrap.
- Honey Mustard Chicken Quesadillas– Chop the leftover chicken into small bite sized pieces and mix with the leftover toppings. Place a scoop of the meat mixture on a tortilla and top with some additional colby jack cheese and an extra drizzle of honey mustard and fold in half. Cook each side of the tortilla on a hot griddle with a little bit of butter until golden brown and the inside is heated through.
- Honey Mustard Chicken Zucchini Boats– Shred the leftover honey mustard chicken and mix in with the toppings and juices. Add black beans to the mixture then scoop generously into zucchini that has been halved and hollowed. Top with an extra sprinkle of cheese and bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes or until the zucchini is tender and the chicken is heated through.
- Honey Mustard Chicken Salad– Chop leftover chicken into bite sized pieces and mix with toppings. Fill a bowl with chopped romaine, or your favorite greens. Top the greens with a generous scoop of chicken, cherry tomatoes, green onions and croutons. Drizzle with honey mustard or ranch dressing.
Honey Mustard Chicken FAQs
Can you use chicken thighs, chicken tenderloins or other cuts of meat in this dish?
Yes, any variety of boneless, skinless chicken will work in this recipe. You can choose based on your family’s taste preferences. Please note that the cooking time may change depending on the type of meat selected.
What kind of bacon do you use for the Honey Mustard Chicken?
I like to make sure that the bacon I use is high quality and super crunchy. This helps with the texture and flavor of the dish. I prefer to cook the bacon in the oven until crispy then crumble it. You can make batches like this and then freeze and thaw to use as needed. I also have easy instructions for how to make bacon in the microwave here!
Can you freeze Honey Mustard Chicken?
Yes, Honey Mustard Chicken can be frozen either before or after cooking. To freeze it before cooking, assemble the dish through step 3. Freeze flat, and when ready to bake, thaw completely before cooking. Resume the recipe at step 4 and cook as directed.
To freeze after baking follow the directions above in the leftovers section.
Is this recipe gluten free?
Yes, the ingredients in this dish should be easy to find gluten free. You will want to verify to confirm that each ingredient and specific brand is in fact gluten free.
Honey Mustard Chicken
This Honey Mustard Chicken is loaded with delicious flavors and simple to make all in one dish. With layers of tender chicken, honey mustard, mushrooms, onions, bacon and cheese, you will not believe how something so easy can be so delicious!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Hover over “serves” value to reveal recipe scaler
- 2 lbs chicken breast boneless, skinless
- 6 tbsp honey mustard prepared
- 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 1/2 tsp pepper divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder divided
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup crispy bacon crumbled
- 1 cup colby jack cheese shredded
- Lay the chicken breast flat in a large casserole dish. Season with 1/4 tsp of each, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Spread 1-2 tbsp of honey mustard on top of each chicken breast to make a nice thick layer.
- Combine the chopped mushrooms, thinly sliced onions, oil, and remaining salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl and stir to coat. Then spread the mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Bake uncovered at 375˚F for about 30 minutes. Then remove the dish, crumble the bacon over the top then sprinkle cheese evenly over the dish and return to oven for 5-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked though (internal temp of 165˚F.)
- Garnish with parsley and serve with mashed potatoes, rice, or your favorite side dish. Enjoy!
- You can cut the chicken in half, chunks, or use chicken tenderloins in lieu of full chicken breasts to make serving easier. Cooking time may be reduced.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or in the freezer for up to a month.
Serving: 4oz chicken breast with 1/4 cup toppingCalories: 271kcal (14%)Carbohydrates: 7g (2%)Protein: 31g (62%)Fat: 11g (17%)Saturated Fat: 5g (31%)Cholesterol: 98mg (33%)Sodium: 648mg (28%)Potassium: 592mg (17%)Sugar: 3g (3%)Vitamin A: 240IU (5%)Vitamin C: 3mg (4%)Calcium: 128mg (13%)Iron: 0.7mg (4%)
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)